Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saison du Buff (New) 7-17-2010


Ze Beer? Saison du Buff

Ze Style? Saison

Ze Maker? Collaboration: Stone, Victory, Dogfish Head

Ze Content! 6.8%

I first picked up this bottle from work on a Shipping mishap. Was excited to see this in, as well with any new beer we receive, and before it was placed on the shelf I bought one to take home. The funny story about this was, as I was purchasing the beer our inventory receiver received a phone call right in front of me as I was checking out. As I was talking to the cashier about how I was excited to be one of the first to try these beers, our receiver places his fingers over his lips and says “Oh well we’ve already sold one bottle”. It seems we received the shipment 1 week before street release, and the rest of the bottles had to be hidden from the public. I realize by the time I post this blog and the date it was released (months ago) will be off, but was just something nifty about how I obtained the beer. Now I think this is Stone’s 4th or 5th collaboration, and when I got it was very excited to try it out. I’ve only had one other saison, the Saison Rue from The Breury, so let’s see what we got.

A great golden pale straw color from this beer, a slight creamy texture swirling through the glass, with a very fluffy, bubbly, sticky head that takes its time to go down. Tons of herbal aromas; smells like a garden with lots of Thyme and Rosemary, paired with rosemary and sage, mixed with loads of spices, just as the bottle suggests. When drinking this beer it completely reminds me of going into the macaroni Grill and eating their herb baked bread whilst using that olive oil dipping sauce. This is definitely a different beer and is beyond anything I’ve ever had before. It’s like drinking a homemade pizza crust! Very crisp light and enjoyable, not sure if I can withstand many of these, it’s just so different, but that’s what makes this beer so great. The piney hops are noticeable but with all the other herbal flavors, its blended in very well. Some citrus peel to this beer as well… Definitely a beer worth trying.

Would I PAY for this beer? Heck yes, if you’re looking for something different to try, this beer is great for that, they sell in single 12 oz bottles and for good reason, one beer is good enough to last your day. Refreshing and crisp, something new for the palate to enjoy, who doesn’t like a nice homemade pizza!?

Overall Rating: A-

Cheers,
-Ze Beer Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment