Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tricerahops 3-13-2011


Ze Beer? Tricerahops
Ze Style? Double IPA
Ze Maker? Ninkasi Brewing
Ze Content! 8.8%
Serving type: 22oz bottle

I do love an IPA, Double IPA’s are just that much nicer, or at least that’s the idea. I have had some Nasty Double IPA’s and when I try a new one, I really do hope it’s not as bad as the aforementioned nasty Double IPA’s. I have had some beers from Ninkasi brewing before, so going into this beer I had expectations; and high ones. I mean let’s be honest, Tricerahops? C’mon, how awesome is that name?! It’s named after a dinosaur that is known to kill Tyrannosaurus Rex’s; regardless this beer was chosen and purchased for me by my best friend Chris Ramirez. I just wish he showed a passion for beer as much as I do, so we could actually enjoy beer tastings, and drinking beer together. I guess on a positive note, I’ll always have a designated driver.

The Tricerahops pours a beautiful cloudy golden amber color. Very consistent tiny micro bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass while a nice fluffy 3 inch head remains behind and while it slowly froths away over the next several minutes. Once the bottle is opened you can smell the hops slightly piney, and a little sweet before even getting a chance to try this beer. A bit of pineapple along with grapefruit is hinted in on the nose. Even though it is labeled a double IPA, the bitter hop flavor you’re probably expecting isn’t really there; though the hops are very present in the taste with a bit of bitterness, but overall it has a very mellow and tasty sweetness mimicking passion fruit like flavors. After a few sips, you do begin to taste a bit of the ethanol through the fruit sweetness, but for a double IPA, this beer is very nice, and very easy to drink. Cheers!

Would I PAY for this beer? Yes, this beer is a 22oz bottle and goes for about 3.99. For a double IPA, let alone a good craft beer, this is a wonderful price, and will not break the wallet. It is also within easy price range, to recommend or suggest to a friend. Affordable and yummy; Me Likes.

Overall Rating: A-

Cheers,
-Ze Beer Guy

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean when it comes to "nasty" DIPAs. Fortunately Ninkasi's are pretty solid. Usually I've found that the main issue with DIPAs is freshness. It's always tough to find them before they are a few months old, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete