Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oak Aged Yeti 8-10-2010


Ze Beer? Oak Aged Yeti
Ze Style? Imperial Stout
Ze Maker? Great Divide Brewing Co.
Ze Content! 9.5%

Sorry for the absence in beer reviews, I have moved locations and found a new mascot to join me on my beer tasting/reviewing journeys. So what beer could I possibly review to bring in the new “location” as well as the new month? The Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout was the perfect beer. Now this beer was recommended to me almost a full year ago, early December to late November from my friend Robert; a fellow beer enthusiast, as well as a Stout lover. He advised if I ever had the chance, to try this beer out, and with my brothers recent wedding in Colorado last June; I took the opportunity to find this beer. Needless to say during my visit, I purchased a mix-up of regular Yeti’s, Oak-aged, and Chocolate. And through the good graces of family and friends, my case of beer found its way to Southern California within a week and in my possession within 2. Now, when do you decide to taste a beer that has been put so high on a pedestal before you’ve even tried it? It was difficult to decide, and as my boss said, there is never an event good enough to try out a save worthy beer. Well, I held out as long as I could before I began looking for events to pop it open. And alas, one of my best friends Matthew, also an avid beer lover, had just graduated with his Master’s degree. It seemed like to be as good of a time as any. So he came over, and we let the tasting begin…

The Yeti, pours a solid black color that not even the shiny lights of the gates of heaven can penetrate through. With a decent 2inch head with a dark brown color to it, this beer pours with a lot of micro bubbles giving hint towards a lot of carbonation. The head retention lasts maybe a minute or so, but the lacing on the glass is great! Even after the beer is gone, the lacing holds to the glass. A very sharp oaky barbeque scent its apparent, almost woodchippy. Definite malt presence with subtle chocolate undertones, a slight caramel booze sugar flavor; possibly a molasses. You can smell that charred smoked goodness throughout this beer, I can’t wait to try it. Tons of roasted malt flavors creamy on the texture, not so thick its syrup, but a great creamy texture that’s easily coats the mouth. This beer is great! Lots of roasted coffee flavor, slight sweet boozey taste in the middle before you get that sharp oaked hop taste on the finish. Possible dark berries, hard to pin point definitely a type of sweetness floating around though, almost belgiany, which makes me thing, fig, or dark cherry. The carbonation was surprisingly low on the feel for as many bubbles I got on the pour; I’ll blame it on the ambience of my new place. It’s definitely a sipping type beer, but one you just don’t want to stop sipping. I’m glad I bought several while in Colorado.

Would I PAY for this beer? Yes, in fact I wish I had bought more when I had the chance. Not sure if this retails out of Colorado, but when I go back. I’m buying more.

Overall Rating: A/A+

Cheers,
-Ze Beer Guy

1 comment:

  1. It does retail in California now, I picked up the Espresso version of the same beer in Riverside just this last weekend (10/10/10)

    ReplyDelete