Monday, May 2, 2011

Sea Monster 5-2-2011


Ze Beer? Sea Monster
Ze Style? Imperial Stout
Ze Maker? Ballast Point
Ze Content! 10%
Serving type: 22oz Bottle

This beer I picked at my local store, is one I’ve had before, during my hunt for great Imperial Stouts. When I saw it again, I knew I had to buy it to blog, because this beer is quite the treat when it comes to Imperial Stouts. Ballast Point makes several wonderful beers. Not all of them are my favorites, but all their special release labels definitely are. It’s sometimes not the easiest bottle to find, but if you can manage to locate a bottle, it’s worth a buy if you’re into that heavy Imperial Stout. I have a Victory at Sea at a friend’s house waiting to drink and blog on. Can’t wait.

This beer poured a heavy black color just as most Imperial Stouts do. Only slight hints brown colors around the rim where the head meets the beer. The Head for the most part was a light tan brown color as well. The head was large and fluffy, though after a couple minutes, the smell of molasses is heavy through this beer, along with the hints of chocolate and roasted coffee just coming through so boldly. The beer is surprisingly smooth for the intense nose you get. The Ethanol is still present, but that chocolate taste and bitter back end come through and does not fail to help balance this stout, just before the alcohol taste comes through. Very nice, after drinking a bottle you can tell you had a hefty beer. The molasses gives this imperial stout a different but not unique feature that most Imperial stouts don’t have; however, some very yummy ones do. More than one may be over doing it, but, that one you do drink is wonderfully splendid.

Would I PAY for this beer? Yes, I would. Simply put, this Imperial Stout is a wonderful beer, and no more than the price of a pint at a decent pub/bar. It’s definitely worth at least a try. Unless you don’t care for that dark bold taste, because this beer is just that.

Overall Rating: A-
Cheers,
-Ze Beer Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment